Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » what is the NOLOGGING effect on Table
what is the NOLOGGING effect on Table [message #51924] Fri, 21 June 2002 09:13 Go to next message
Nagesh
Hi guys,

I have a table which is very high transactional. I am not running my DB on archive log mode. My db is suffering with performance issue while doing some commits against this table. If i use NOLOGGING option against this table what would be the affect. Soppose if database server suddenly went down(due to some power problem etc.,) andy problem ?

Please Please help me out with proper info.

Thanks in advance.

Nagesh.
Re: what is the NOLOGGING effect on Table [message #51925 is a reply to message #51924] Fri, 21 June 2002 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
hi,
nologging mode does improves the performance because it generates much less log data in the redo log files and thus saves a lot of resources for oracle.
But it is needed to backup up the data after a
no-logging insert operation. Else You cannot perform a media recovery, if something happens.
It disables the recover mechanisms for the transaction.
Re: what is the NOLOGGING effect on Table [message #51934 is a reply to message #51924] Fri, 21 June 2002 15:07 Go to previous message
Trifon Anguelov
Keep in mind that not all DDL SQL statements are excluded from NOLOGGING clause. For certain DDL this setting does not matter.

No DML statements will ever skip the redo log.

Details and which DDL SQL statements are affected by the NOLOGGING clause, could be found Here

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our web site [url=http://www.dbaclick.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi]Click Here

Previous Topic: Creation of database
Next Topic: how to Gant rights and privileges to new user
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 02:24:50 CDT 2024