Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle runs slow due to large inserts
Oracle runs slow due to large inserts [message #52857] Sat, 17 August 2002 12:43 Go to next message
Vivek nath
I have been inserting thousands of new records into the oracle database from an external file.The performance of oracle has become really slow and every new insert is taking hell lot of a time .Please tell me what can be done to improve this
Re: Oracle runs slow due to large inserts [message #52864 is a reply to message #52857] Sun, 18 August 2002 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trifon Anguelov
Read the the methods explainted SQL*Loader Performance Improvments

Also you can split your external data file in multiple pieces and then run SQL*Loader in parallel:

For example, to invoke three SQL*Loader direct path load sessions on the same table, you would execute the following commands at the operating system prompt:

SQLLOAD USERID=SCOTT/TIGER CONTROL=LOAD1.CTL DIRECT=TRUE PARALLEL=TRUE
SQLLOAD USERID=SCOTT/TIGER CONTROL=LOAD2.CTL DIRECT=TRUE PARALLEL=TRUE
SQLLOAD USERID=SCOTT/TIGER CONTROL=LOAD3.CTL DIRECT=TRUE PARALLEL=TRUE

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our Web site

Re: Oracle runs slow due to large inserts [message #52868 is a reply to message #52857] Sun, 18 August 2002 22:10 Go to previous message
Brendan Millar
I may be stating the obvious, but you may also want to consider removing any indexes you have on the target table.
Previous Topic: Re: VB-Oracle Connectivity
Next Topic: Need Dumps for OCDBA
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 13:28:48 CDT 2024