Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » tooltip_text on list form
tooltip_text on list form [message #152253] Wed, 21 December 2005 22:33 Go to next message
bondijim
I am having a very frustrating time with setting tooltip text on a list form displaying multiple items. I managed to get everything working nicely but I cannot get it to work now at all and I cannot figure out why as I haven't made any code changes. I suspect it may be the tooltip/hint properties and the way that they are entered may have something to do with it, but it is driving me mad.

It's very simple. I am wanting to display a value when I put the mouse over the field and put this code in the post_query trigger on the data_block which produces the list

This is my code..

set_item_property('claim.claim_number',tooltip_text,:claim.policy_number);

I have tried various permutations in the property palette such as setting the hint to 'Y', setting an initial value in the tooltip itself.. but it always displays the value for the last item retrieved on the list, no matter which line I have the mouse on.

I have searched the forum for tooltip_text issues, but I don't believe the solutions given will work. (by the way I am on 10g)

Any more ideas?
Re: tooltip_text on list form [message #152429 is a reply to message #152253] Fri, 23 December 2005 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
manjuvasu
Is the List value fetched from static or u use create_group_from query.

any how u can check for the datatype.since tool_tip accepts char.
and what is the datatype of policy number.
Re: tooltip_text on list form [message #152733 is a reply to message #152253] Mon, 26 December 2005 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
What you have found is completely true. Think about it for a minute. You are setting the tooltip using a set_item_property in the Post-Query trigger. The set_item_property set the property for ALL INSTANCES of an item and you are doing it via the Post-Query trigger which fires for EVERY record returned. Therefore, the last record wins.

The documentation for When-Mouse-Enter states that 'Changing a tooltip's property in a When-Mouse-Enter trigger canelsthe tooltip before it is ever shown.'

Sucks doesn't it!

David
Re: tooltip_text on list form [message #152734 is a reply to message #152733] Mon, 26 December 2005 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
There is a very nasty solution but you don't want to hear it.

David
Re: tooltip_text on list form [message #152910 is a reply to message #152734] Tue, 27 December 2005 16:50 Go to previous message
bondijim
Thanks, David..

especially for not telling me the nasty solution! For the moment I've settled on using when_new_item_instance for my tooltip'd field, so that works OK.

cheers
Jim
Previous Topic: "Validate from list" property does not work
Next Topic: open text file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 05:33:44 CDT 2024